Tuesday 31 January 2023

A Post-Apocalyptic Interview with Mark Towse

Our next anthology, Tales from the Ruins, is going to be a cataclysmic one! It will be released on the 25th of February but the Kindle version is available for pre-order today at just 99c instead of $3.99. To celebrate the imminent publication of the first Black Beacon Books anthology exclusively dedicated to post-apocalyptic fiction, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. Behold the maniacal workings of their troubled minds!

Hi Mark,

Let’s make the first question a lighthearted one...hmm...okay, got it! Is your story simply an entertaining piece of fiction or are you giving us a peek at the terrifying fate tomorrow will unleash upon us?

"The Fields" is the only piece of post-apocalyptic fiction I've written. I wanted to make the work more emotional than overloaded with events, as I feel the best examples of this genre do just that.

What is it that makes post-apocalyptic fiction so appealing? Would the world be better off if more people read this genre?

To feed into the dark side of the mind, I believe some people, including myself, have a romantic attachment to the apocalypse. That might sound morose and twisted, and who knows, I might even be out on my own with this one, but mixed with the fear and desperation, I imagine there's a part of me that would appreciate the haunting serenity of the situation.

Do you have a favourite post-apocalyptic author? 

To be candid, I haven't read a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction. Based on the explanation above, I feel I need to put that right. Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" stayed with me for a long time after reading, but I love all Cormac's work. I guess I need to spread my wings and pick up some more work in this genre. The Stand (Stephen King) was another book that I couldn't read quickly enough, so I guess the appetite is there...

Some people like to listen to music while reading. Which song can you imagine providing the soundtrack to your story?

Good question. Something that tugs at the heartstrings, simultaneously painting a picture of a desperate landscape. A coming-of-age/futuristic mish-mash of emotion... but I can't think of one right now.

If you woke up in your story tomorrow, what would you do?

Well, I wouldn’t trust a soul. Probably go off on my own and enjoy the haunting serenity while listening to my favourite post-apocalyptic music (whatever that might be).

There are no firearms or ammunition. You have to choose an everyday object from the home or garden as your weapon of choice—what’s in your hands? 

Screwdriver.

Time to get more personal. Tell us three interesting facts about yourself. 

Why am I struggling with this? Damn, maybe because I’m not that interesting. I can work out sums quicker than a calculator. Hands down, I would win any grape-eating contest. I can do the Rubik’s Cube in thirty-four seconds. (Kill me now.)

What do you aim to give your readers?

Escapism.

What are you working on now? 

My debut novel, a hybrid of crime, horror, comedy, called "Chasing The Dragon". It’s based
on a short story I wrote called "Watch Me Fly".

Where can we find you online? (Editor's comment: Everywhere! Mark is very active online. Go and join him!)

https://twitter.com/MarkTowsey12
https://www.instagram.com/towseywrites/
https://marktowsedarkfiction.wordpress.com/

Thanks for playing along. Good luck in the wastelands!

No comments:

Post a Comment