Saturday 6 April 2024

Pirate Anthology: Lawrence Dagstine

The Black Beacon Book of Pirates is sure to shiver your timbers when it's published on Friday the 21st of June. The Kindle version is already available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads "want to read" list today. In the meantime, to get you in the mood for a spot of swashbuckling, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. 

Hi Lawrence,

Why pirates?

I think pirate tales are some of the most fascinating when it comes to historical fiction. Even the early explorers, like Columbus and Magellan employed some pirates. Their expeditions, the buccaneers who swabbed the decks, handled the masts, sailed for armadas to deliver spices in exchange for raw materials or silks, those who steered for uncharted isles only to find treasure (or find an early demise). It could be said that the pirate is an adventurer unlike any other. So when you follow their voyage you are experiencing firsthand what they saw. You’re living what they lived, only out at sea. You’re going out on their adventure, no matter the genre.

Are there any pirate legends set where you live?

Not that I am aware of. I find the Golden Age of Piracy particularly intriguing. Of course you have legends like Blackbeard. Everybody’s heard of him. The 1600s and 1700s are most interesting, I find.

If you were a pirate, what’s the first thing you’d do?

Sail for some uncharted isle. Have my principal officers or lackeys set up camp there. If I liked the region a lot, maybe live out my life there.

Have you ever found treasure?

No. The closest I’ve come to finding treasure is using one of those metal detectors when I was younger to locate old coins on a Long Island beach.

What do you do when you’re not dreaming up tall tales?

Writing science fiction (with a dash of science fact). Faraway planets and other galaxies are terribly interesting to me. There’s so much out there among the stars, just waiting to be discovered. I like drawing. Occasionally relaxing to a nice fantasy or dark fantasy role-playing game. I even collect comic books. I am a man of many hobbies.

Where can we find you online?

I have a website of close to twenty years, where you can find my fiction work past and present, that’s at: www.lawrencedagstine.com I’m also on Twitter (which is my primary social media): www.twitter.com/ldagstine I’m on LinkTree for art and literature: www.linktree.com/lawrencedagstine


No comments:

Post a Comment