The Black Beacon Book of Horror 2 will be released on the 1st of October, but in the meantime, the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads TBR list. To get you pumpkin-spiced up for an unforgettable Halloween 2026, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. Step into the corridors of their dark minds, if you dare!
Hi David,
That classic question to get started. Do you have to be a horrible person to write horrible things?
It’s such a common misconception when one thinks that a particular author would need to have the personality of which they would write. Actors playing evil antagonists on the stage and screen are not evil at heart ; they're acting. It’s their profession. They study the role, research the origins, do interviews, read material and get a sense of how the character would behave, and put all of that into their performance. That’s what a horror writer does. To write in any genre, one researches, reads the genre and dives deep into the characters they create, and sculpts their work accordingly. To provide a simple example, I will never write a romance story, however in life, I am a romantic person at heart.
Which horror writers do you admire—old or new, famous or hidden gems?
I’m a little on the cliché with this one. I am a strong Stephen King fan and loved also reading the works of Richard Laymon and Clive Barker. I also love J RR Tolkien and JK Rowling. The worlds in which I’d dived into with their works had left me with life-long inspiration, and I have been known to re-read their books.
Can you describe your perfect horror-themed night in, out, or away?
My perfect horror-themed night in would be getting together with my mates and playing a horror RPG. Snacks, drinks, creepy ambiant music, an excellent GM, a dam scary story and no time limit. This is my idea of horror-themed heaven.
Do you have any writing rituals?
Setting myself in a quiet spot, dim the lights, perhaps some snacks or a cup of tea, research/reference material at hand, ambient music is a must, and a warm rug on my lap.
Would you share something about yourself that your readers don’t know yet?
What readers probably don’t know about me yet is that I’m a musican. I love playing the guitar and singing. I also have been writing my own music ever since I was in early high school. I would like to share my music in the future when I get my solo album finished. I was in a four-piece rock band in the 90s and we played a few venues around Melbourne. Music, like art and writing, has and always will be a part of me.
Where can we find you online?
Feel welcome to visit my website at: davidschembri.net I am also on Facebook and have my author’s page here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063595146407
No comments:
Post a Comment