Monday, 28 September 2026

A Scary Interview with Diana Olney

The Black Beacon Book of Horror 2 will be released on the 1st of October, but in the meantime, the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads TBR list. To get you pumpkin-spiced up for an unforgettable Halloween 2026, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. Step into the corridors of their dark minds, if you dare!

Hi Diana,

That classic question to get started. Do you have to be a horrible person to write horrible things?

In my writing and reading experience, I would swap “horrible” for “haunted”. Horror comes in all shades and flavors, but the most poignant and memorable works of dark fiction draw from the dark ink of real wounds. That doesn’t necessarily mean that every tale has to be tragic, though. It is also possible to balance that inherent darkness with excitement, action, and sometimes even comedic tones.

Which horror writers do you admire—old or new, famous or hidden gems?

This list could stretch indefinitely. In classic literature, Slyvia Plath and Ted Hughes have been very influential, especially in my poetry. Contemporary hidden gems I revere include the visionary work of Kathe Koja, Emma Glass, and Candice Wuehle. In terms of famous authors and rising stars, I absolutely adore Julia Armfield, Gwendolyn Kiste, Richard Kadrey, CJ Leede, and Keith Rosson, especially their early short fiction.

Can you describe your perfect horror-themed night in, out, or away?

This is going to sound paradoxical, but a reading marathon in a sunlit cemetery on a Summer evening would be spectacular. BYOB (Bring Your Own Books!)

Are there any urban legends, folktales, or real-life tales of horror that happened (just maybe) where you live or grew up?

There is an abandoned, historic psychiatric facility not far from my abode in the Seattle area called Northern State Hospital, which I have explored, and can confirm to be wonderfully eerie. There is even an on-site crematorium.

Do you have any writing rituals?

Inspiration often speaks loudest to me when I am less distracted (including the chatter of my own thoughts), especially in liminal states like the phase between wakefulness and sleep. Sounds bizarre, but I’ve actually solved quite a few plot puzzles that way. So, I try to maintain an open mind in those moments, either by keeping pieces of a current WIP in the foreground, or listening for new ones. Let the words marinate and see if an epiphany comes.

Would you share something about yourself that your readers don’t know yet?

That’s a tough one, as the best way to get to know me is through my work. I don’t mention it often, but I am afflicted by hereditary bipolar disorder, though I am happy to report that writing has proved incredibly comforting and cathartic during rough periods. On a lighter (and softer) note, I am also an impassioned cat lover, whisperer, and cohort! All of my work is approved by my two furry assistants, who literally shadow me. This is less of a secret to those who have perused the compendium of cat photos on my social media, however.

Where can we find you online?

Official website: dianaolney.com or Instagram @dianaolneyauthor

No comments:

Post a Comment