Tuesday, 22 September 2026

A Scary Interview with Stuart Olver

The Black Beacon Book of Horror 2 will be released on the 1st of October, but in the meantime, the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads TBR list. To get you pumpkin-spiced up for an unforgettable Halloween 2026, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. Step into the corridors of their dark minds, if you dare!

Hi Stuart,

That classic question to get started. Do you have to be a horrible person to write horrible things?

I hope that by scratching out my darkest thoughts onto paper, I become a less horrible person!

Which horror writers do you admire—old or new, famous or hidden gems?

Classic: Edgar Allan Poe-poetry wrapped in dread; Modern: Richard Laymon-lurid, violent, sick, twisted. Perfect!

Can you describe your perfect horror-themed night in, out, or away?

Watching creepypasta/analogue horror shorts on YouTube with my son. With maybe a single malt at hand…

Are there any urban legends, folktales, or real-life tales of horror that happened (just maybe) where you live or grew up?

In Zulu and Khosa folklore from South Africa, the small, hairy, goblin-like Tokoloshe will get you when you sleep, unless you elevate your bed with bricks so that he can’t reach you.

Do you have any writing rituals?

I take an exercise book on holiday and write a page a day, whether in a hotel room, passing the time on a tour bus, or watching the ocean go by from a bench on a cruise ship.

Would you share something about yourself that your readers don’t know yet?

I recently retired from my career as a research scientist, and now work as a school crossing supervisor just 2 minutes from home.

Where can we find you online?

I have a Facebook profile, or try Dawn Till Dusk Publishing, where you’ll find lots of yummy coffee table books published by my brother Rob and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment