Thursday 11 March 2021

Murder and Machinery: An Interview with Kerilee S. Nickles



Kerilee S. Nickles' "The Screen in the Sky" is just one of the mad mechanical tales featured in Murder and Machinery. Out April the 3rd. Kindle pre-orders available now.


Tell us three interesting facts about yourself.

  1. I currently live in Lilongwe, Malawi

  2. In the last eight years, I have lived in the UAE, Taiwan, and Malawi 

  3. I am from Lancaster County, PA, the heart of Amish country


What drew you to this particular theme? 


I have always enjoyed creepy stories relating to uncontrollable things or mysterious villains, both for reading and writing. I have been working on writing a few similar stories in the past few years, and so when I saw this opportunity to write under this theme for a magazine, I jumped on it. 


What’s the most frightening machine for you personally?

 

I think that “Alexa” is the most frightening. I do not personally own one, but my parents and some of my friends do. I’ve heard her say things randomly without being asked. Things that have either nothing to do with anything we’ve said to her or things you’re surprised she knows about because you’ve not said it to her. I don’t like the idea of a machine listening to you and then seemingly coming to life and talking back. 


Which short story authors or authors in the horror genre inspire you? 


Edgar Allan Poe is and has been one of my favourite authors for many years. His work helped me draw on the creepy and the strange, and whenever I write scary short stories, I always go back to him. 


Do you have a favourite story about machines, other than The Pit and the Pendulum?


I am a recent convert to science fiction stories, and so I’m still exploring the genre. I really like H.G. Wells, but I think my favourite story with machines still has to be Frankenstein. I love the idea of a machine bringing something back to life. 


What does your editing process look like? 


I write and then go back. I go over it and again and again. For a short story, I like to read it in full, make notes, and then read it in full again. Sometimes I take a few days’ break to let my mind clear, and then I go back and edit again. For editing a novel, I work chapter by chapter. I also like to get someone to go through and read my work for me. Often because I’m so immersed in my writing, there are mistakes I never catch without someone else’s help! 


Do you write everything and then edit, or do you meticulously plan before you write? 


I usually like to write everything and get it all down and then go back to edit afterwards. Editing during writing sometimes feels like it’s interrupting my flow. I get all my ideas out even if they aren’t good or even if the wording is off, and then I go through it all at the end.


What are you working on now?


Currently, I’m finishing up my own full-length Victorian mystery involving a serial killer. I’m going through the editing process, and then I hope to self-publish!


I’m also working on editing a horror short story, getting it ready to send out to magazines! 


Where can we find you online?


You can find some of my short stories here: https://kerinickles.wixsite.com/teaandtales

And you can find posts about my writing as well as my newspaper column here: https://www.facebook.com/knickles.writing


Thanks, Kerilee!

No comments: