Thursday 7 September 2023

Horror Anthology: An Interview with Sam Dawson

The Black Beacon Book of Horror will be released on Friday the 13th of October; the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads list today. To get you in the mood for a particularly spooky Halloween this year, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. The first Black Beacon Book of Horror is bound to give you the creeps!

Hi Sam,

Why do you write horror?

Because that’s what I started with and I suspect it’ll never release its grasp. I’ve written history and a (not yet published) non-horror novel, but every time I turn to a new short story some twisted element to the situation will always present itself and request inclusion.

Is there a story behind your story in this anthology?

The Floppy Man was a character I used to scare friends with when telling stories in my teens. Later, when I finally had the confidence to write something he sprang to mind. The original Morris Dancers were at a badly chosen countryside pub which turned out to be a hunt meeting place, and it took a while to separate in my mind the one harmless tradition from the other, anything but, one.

Do you have an all-time favourite horror tale?

If you’d asked me years ago, maybe, but there’s such a fantastic canon of both classic and new work out there now that it would be invidious to choose just one or two.

What books did you grow up reading?

Anything that was at hand, and luckily, something always was. Boyhood favourites included Biggles, John Buchan and Alistair Maclean, historical stories, classics, A Century of Creepy Stories and similar ghost anthologies from the 1930s. By age 11, thanks to school, I’d been exposed to Dickens, Conrad, George Orwell and Laurie Lee, and at home had just discovered Poe. From there on it just got better and better.

Would you share something about yourself that your readers don’t know yet?

On paper, I’d rather not. In good company, maybe after a drink or two, probably yes.

Where can we find you online?

Thanks for answering our questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment