Friday 24 February 2023

A Post-Apocalyptic Interview with Claire Davon

Our next anthology, Tales from the Ruins, is going to be a cataclysmic one! It will be released on the 25th of February but the Kindle version is available for pre-order today at just 99c instead of $3.99. To celebrate the imminent publication of the first Black Beacon Books anthology exclusively dedicated to post-apocalyptic fiction, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. Behold the maniacal workings of their troubled minds!

Hi Claire,

Let’s make the first question a lighthearted one...hmm...okay, got it! Is your story simply an entertaining piece of fiction or are you giving us a peek at the terrifying fate tomorrow will unleash upon us?

My story actually stems from a dream I had back as a wee lass when we were always afraid that Russia was going to drop the "big one" on the US, or vice versa. It felt like a terrifyingly possible reality then, and it’s little different now—only perhaps the method of our demise as told in my story has been somewhat—altered.

What is it that makes post-apocalyptic fiction so appealing? Would the world be better off if more people read this genre?

We live in a world where disaster hangs over our head with every news story, so how can people not think about it? Post-apocalyptic fiction takes us to that natural conclusion. As for being better off if everyone read it? Depends on whether you like your sleep at night !

Do you have a favourite post-apocalyptic author?

Perhaps not an author per se, but I grew up reading all manner of SF and Fantasy, including John Wyndham and Richard Matheson. However, my favorite novel in the genre is The Stand by Stephen King.

Some people like to listen to music while reading. Which song can you imagine providing the soundtrack to your story? 

A heartbeat.

If you woke up in your story tomorrow, what would you do?

Probably the same thing my main character did! 

There are no firearms or ammunition. You have to choose an everyday object from the home or garden as your weapon of choice—what’s in your hands?

A shovel with a long handle.

Time to get more personal. Tell us three interesting facts about yourself. 

1. I live in Southern California and work at a movie studio
2. I used to party on the Sunset Strip in the 1980s/1990s
3. I tend to live life as though I have a soundtrack behind me and have been known to break out into song (to suit the occasion, of course)

What do you aim to give your readers?

A little bit of everything. I write in many genres so someone reading all of my stories will be in for a ride!

What are you working on now?

Edits for a contemporary romance, a PNR shifter novella, a superhero romance series and the final book in one of my self-pubbed PNR series.

Where can we find you online?

I’m lots of places, but here are three of my most active! Thanks for reading!
Website: www.clairedavon.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClaireDavonindieauthor/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClaireDavon

Thanks for playing along. Good luck in the wastelands!

No comments:

Post a Comment