Thursday 25 February 2021

Murder and Machinery: An Interview with Danielle Birch



Danielle Birch's "Leonora" is just one of the mad mechanical tales featured in Murder and Machinery. Out April the 3rd. Kindle pre-orders available now.


Tell us three interesting facts about yourself:

I love to collect antique dolls and while I adore my growing collection, most of my family and friends find them creepy. My husband and I like anything vintage and eclectic and spend a lot of time searching through garage sales, op shops, and antique shops for just the right piece. I have worked in law (my day job) for the past 18 years and it has provided much inspiration for some of my stories.

What drew you to this particular theme? 

I love a challenge, so the chance to write something with a hint of a steampunk theme was fun to explore.

What’s the most frightening machine for you personally?

Though I am a huge fan of horror, I find some machines and robots terrifying, most especially the fighting machines in War of the Worlds.

Which short story authors or authors in the horror genre inspire you? 

Shirley Jackson.

What does your editing process look like? 

The first draft flows quickly (but filled with many lumps) onto paper. Then I slowly weave the plot and play with words through several edits until I’m relatively happy with it.

Do you write everything and then edit or do you meticulously plan before you write? 

When I start, I have a rough plot in my head along with the characters and their backgrounds. Quite often, the ending doesn’t come to me until I’m about half-way through writing the story.

What are you working on now?

A novel – a modern tragedy.

Where can we find you online?

Website: www.daniellebirch.com

Instagram: daniellembirch

Twitter: @mrsdanbirch

Thanks, Danielle!