Thursday 12 October 2023

Horror Anthology: Cameron Trost

The Black Beacon Book of Horror will be released on Friday the 13th of October; the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads list today. To get you in the mood for a particularly spooky Halloween this year, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. The first Black Beacon Book of Horror is bound to give you the creeps!

Hi Cameron,

Why do you write horror?

I don't write horror exclusively. In fact, most of my fiction is probably better described as suspense or mystery. What drives me is the idea that I'm keeping the reader guessing and that I've set up a shock or two along the way. Before reading the last word in the story, the reader will be lead down a winding path, and finding his way back home won't come easy. 

Is there a story behind your story in this anthology?

I mean, it's fiction... and it's important I make that clear. I live in Brittany and the contrast between summer and winter is quite dramatic here. Wealthy Parisians flock to their holiday homes along the coast in the summer and enjoy afternoons sunbathing followed by cocktail soirées. But their grand homes are soon abandoned. They lie dark and empty during the stormy winter months. I wanted to explore the idea of a Parisian coming to Brittany during the off-season, feeling lost, and receiving a hostile welcome. This is a classic folk horror scenario and this corner of the world is perfect for it. My horror stories tend to have an ambiguous ending and this one is no different. I find the uncertainty more disturbing, and it allows the reader to decide precisely want happened. 

Do you have an all-time favourite horror tale?

The easy answer is "No, there are just too many", but I'll play along. One story that probably isn't often cited as an outstanding horror story is The Snail Watcher by Patricia Highsmith. Have you read it? You really should.

What books did you grow up reading?

Where to start? Well, I devoured the Doctor Who novelisations as a kid because I loved the BBC series, and I soon became obsessed with Sherlock Holmes. Before long, I was hunting down all the gothic and ghostly classics, from Edgar Allan Poe to M.R. James.

Do you have any writing rituals?

Not really. I like to be alone, preferably with a storm raging outside and a glass of decent whisky within easy reach. 

Where can we find you online? 


Thanks for answering our questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment