Friday 22 September 2023

Horror Anthology: Angelique Fawns

The Black Beacon Book of Horror will be released on Friday the 13th of October; the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads list today. To get you in the mood for a particularly spooky Halloween this year, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. The first Black Beacon Book of Horror is bound to give you the creeps!

Hi Angelique,

Why do you write horror?

I don’t deliberately write horror, but something happens when I sit down at my laptop. A dark fog settles in the room. My fingers start to dance of their own accord. Each storyline twists and veers as if an outside choreographer is directing a dark play. Perhaps the most hidden fears of my subconscious are screaming for release? Horror can be healing as well as thrilling.

Is there a story behind your story in this anthology?

There is nothing more fun than taking an old familiar trope and subverting it. Seth is the antithesis of your stereotypical vampire. He’s not gorgeous, nor does he have compelling power and superhuman strength. Instead, he’s a leechman who owns a pig farm but loves his animals too much to produce pork. Seth is fat, bald, lisps, and has a heart of gold.

Do you have an all-time favourite horror tale?

There are tooo many to pick! My favorite genre is the short horror story, and few leap to mind as top contenders. Stephen King’s “The Mist.” Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart.” Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery.” Daniel Keye’s “Flowers for Algernon”— I could fill pages, but you get the idea.

What books did you grow up reading?

Stephen King. Margaret Atwood. Dean R. Koontz. Anne McCaffrey. Jeffery Archer. Any dystopian YA series I could get my hands on. Hunger Games, Divergent, Uglies...

Do you have any writing rituals?

I wish I did. My ritual is usually frantic typing when I can squeeze in a minute around my television promo-producing day job, running a horse farm, and hauling my daughter to rodeos all over Ontario. Sometimes, the only way to get anything done is to steal away to the local pub, tuck into a quiet corner, and finally let a nagging story fall onto the page. With a cold glass of chardonnay of course.

Would you share something about yourself that your readers don’t know yet?

Though I’ve sold over 40 short stories, I've had a thousand rejections to get there.

Where can we find you online?

I have a blog where I post monthly open submission calls in the speculative genre that pay with no fees at www.fawns.ca/blog. I’ve tried to maximise success and understanding of conquering the short fiction world by interviewing publishers and authors either at horrortree.com, or on my podcast Read Me A Nightmare. In fact, if you want to learn more about the editor of this anthology, check out my one-on-one with Cameron Trost here, https://www.fawns.ca/2023/06/20/cameron-trost-and-black-beacon-books/

Other links:

Thanks for answering our questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment