Friday 15 September 2023

Horror Anthology: Elizabeth Broadbent

The Black Beacon Book of Horror will be released on Friday the 13th of October; the Kindle version is available for pre-order at just $1.99 instead of $3.99 and you can add the anthology to your Goodreads list today. To get you in the mood for a particularly spooky Halloween this year, we’re interviewing the contributing authors. The first Black Beacon Book of Horror is bound to give you the creeps!

Hi Elizabeth,

Why do you write horror?

I write horror because it's a space for experimental, strange, and liminal fiction. Southern Gothic without it is boring. My favorite novelists all play with experimental structure: Faulkner,
Marquez, Melville. While I love writing gorgeous prose, playing with structure is my favorite.

Is there a story behind your story in this anthology?

It's part of my favorite sandbox, a town called Lower Congaree. Like Faulkner, I made up a county (his is in Mississippi; mine is in South Carolina), complete with maps, genealogies, and consistent characters. The Merle family of witches plays a starring role in most of my works—while Ella Lee's story was my first, her mother Jane appears in For Thine is the Kingdom, published in Ghostlight: The Magazine of Terror. Ella Lee's story continues in A Burning Thing, published by Tree and Stone. I have her birth story yet unpublished. Her daughter, Talitha, stars in my novels The Swamp-Child (currently in final edits) and Mother of Ghosts (my work-in-progress).

Do you have an all-time favourite horror tale?

Stephen King's The Long Walk and Firestarter have always stuck with me. Of course, I love A Rose for Emily and To Kill a Mockingbird. I'll argue til I'm blue in the face that Moby Dick and Absalom, Absalom! are horror novels, and they're my all-time favorites.

What books did you grow up reading?

I read all the typical kids books, like the Narnia series, but my parents never cared what I read, so I spent most of my formative years digging through Stephen King, Christopher Pike, and Anne Rice. My very favorite book was Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides, which I read when I was eleven. It's the only book my mother ever took from me, so I never forgot it. I was floored by his language. I wanted to be a writer from the time I was five, and I thought, "I want to write like that."

Do you have any writing rituals?

Daily, early, and often, in my dining room converted a writing room.

Would you share something about yourself that your readers don’t know yet?

People think I made up the demonic Congaree Swamp. I didn't. It's real, and it's haunted as all hell. You can feel the malevolent energy at night, and it's probably the scariest place I've ever been. I also had a long career in journalism before I started writing spec fic in June 2022. I've been published in The Washington Post, Insider, and Time Magazine; I've also appeared on every major news network in America, including National Public Radio (other than Fox; I said no to them) and BBC World News. Most recently, one of my essays was commissioned by The Daily Mail.

Where can we find you online?

I live at www.writerelizabethbroadbent.com, but I'm also on Twitter, Instagram, and Threads as @eabroadbent; Bluesky is @elizabethbroadbent.bsky.social.

Thanks for answering our questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment