Saturday 1 October 2022

An Interview with Cameron Trost

Our next edge-of-your-seat anthology, A Hint of Hitchcock, will be released in time for Halloween, and is available for Kindle pre-order today for just $1.99 instead of $3.99. While the suspense is building, we're interviewing the contributing authors so you know a little more about what makes them tick...

Hi Cameron, thanks for agreeing to be interviewed. Let’s get started!

The first question is inevitable...which Hitchcock film is your personal favourite, and why? Which actor or actress do you think was the best he worked with?

If I had to pick one in terms of pure cinematic prowess, I'd have to agree with the experts and say Vertigo. Do yourself a favour and look up "the Hitchcock Zoom" or "Dolly Zoom". As for sheer suspense and the ability to tell a gripping story from a limited perspective, Rear Window probably gets the prize as my go-to Hitchcock film. Neither of these, however, provided the inspiration to my contribution to this anthology. As for his actors, I'm going to be unoriginal and say Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.

What is it about Hitchcock's films that makes them so timeless, or is it just the opposite, that the appeal lies in that bygone era?

It has to be a bit of both. Suspense is timeless and Hitchcock's films remain relevant today because modern audiences can still relate to his characters and put themselves in their shoes. At the same time, while progress has been made and is being made in areas such as gender relations and social attitudes, a lot has been lost since the days of Hitchcock's films, particularly when it comes to aesthetics and style. I mean, have a look at this screenshot! 

Do you have a favourite director, other than Hitchie himself, of course?

One suspense film that really impressed me for its directing almost as much as Jake Gyllenhaal's outstanding acting is Night Call / Nightcrawler, which was directed by Dan Gilroy. Kubrik, Scorcese, and Shyamalan are definitely on the list too, even if there were some misses among their hits.

Without giving too much away, how did you come up with the idea for your story in A Hint of Hitchcock?

As the editor of the anthology, I decided to choose a film none of the contributors had chosen and then work a story around the title of that film. I'll let you work the rest out.

Time to get more personal. Tell us three interesting facts about yourself. 

I live in marshland in Brittany, and it's a great place for a mystery writer. I have part of a toe missing so mustn't escape along a beach after committing murder or I'd be easy to identify (marshland is perfect for me), and...I haven't hidden any bodies in the marshes...yet.

What do you aim to give your readers? 

I want to make them think, feel, and most of all - check that the doors and windows are locked!

What are you working on now? 

Black Beacon Books anthologies, and then I have two novels and several short stories to get back to!

Where can we find you online? 

camerontrost.com and all over social media

No comments:

Post a Comment