Thursday 29 September 2022

An Interview with Elizabeth Elwood

Our next edge-of-your-seat anthology, A Hint of Hitchcock, will be released in time for Halloween, and is available for Kindle pre-order today for just $1.99 instead of $3.99. While the suspense is building, we're interviewing the contributing authors so you know a little more about what makes them tick...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for agreeing to be interviewed. Let
’s get started!

The first question is inevitable...which Hitchcock film is your personal favourite, and why? Which actor or actress do you think was the best he worked with?

North by Northwest - I saw it when it first came out and it kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. I enjoyed it for its light touch – was never into the scarier films. I couldn’t pick out a "best" actor or actress as there were so many good ones. He seemed to have the pick of the top-notch British stars in his earlier movies and the big Hollywood stars in the later ones.

What is it about Hitchcock's films that makes them so timeless, or is it just the opposite, that the appeal lies in that bygone era?

For someone my age, there are definitely elements of nostalgia in watching his films. However, mystery and suspense is always timeless, and if handled well, always makes for worthwhile viewing.

Do you have a favourite director, other than Hitchie himself, of course?

Many I admire for their work in various genres, but I don’t have any special favourites. Still, I do admit a soft spot for Franco Zeffirelli because, in addition to his opera and Shakespearean films, his Tea with Mussolini was so delightful.

Without giving too much away, how did you come up with the idea for your story in A Hint of Hitchcock?

I love Daphne du Maurier’s novel, Rebecca, and I thought the Hitchcock film was a fine representation of the book because it recreated the mysterious atmosphere so very well. However, since I doubted my ability to compete with du Maurier’s or Hitchcock’s ability to create suspense, I used the fact that there is a stage play of Rebecca to create an egotistical protagonist, which in turn allowed me to write my nod to Rebecca in the vein of irony and black comedy – also in keeping with the Hitch theme, since many of his films have that tone.

Time to get more personal. Tell us three interesting facts about yourself. 

I studied opera and sang in the Vancouver Opera chorus; I’ve acted, directed and designed sets for a lot of community-theatre productions; I’ve written twenty marionette musicals for our puppet company. Oh, and once I actually ran for mayor!

What do you aim to give your readers? 

An intriguing mystery to figure out and hopefully, an entertaining read.

What are you working on now? 

A mystery with ghosts from several different eras.

Where can we find you online? 

www.elihuentertainment.com

No comments:

Post a Comment